Sunday 11 October 2015

Study tips

Another week has come and gone. Currently, I am celebrating Canadian thanksgiving up at my grandfather's where there is no internet, so I'm scheduling this post in hopes that it will post on time. I had a pretty bad cold towards the end of the week and wasn't feeling well at the beginning so sadly I went without exercising this week. Next week is my reading week, meaning no classes so that will be fun. I also just registered to vote for the first time and hope to be doing that Monday on one of the early voting days.

I've seen hundreds of "studying tips" posts floating around on the internet, and while many of the tips are useful, they do get repetitive. The study tips are often either specific to one learning style, or a mix of many learning styles so you have to pick out the best for you. To figure out your learning style, try this quiz.

From past quizzes, and testing different strategies, I have found that I have two learning styles that are higher than the others. First is the visual learning style. This means that I learn best when I see a diagram, video, or slideshow relating to a topic. I am also a Kinesthetic learner which means that I learn my doing. Applying what I learn into real life.

This post will be an outline of what exactly I do to study, so if you don't share my learning styles, I would suggest finding different strategies, or just taking the tips that work best for you.

Pre-Study

I do a few things before even starting to work. Some are done up to a week before, and some are done only a few minutes before.

  • Planner. I use a planner throughout the week to make sure I know what all my assignments are. My planner is monthly, but you can use weekly or daily if you prefer. After each class, I mark my homework, including readings, on the date that it's due, with a little checkbox next to it. I do this for all four days.
  • Lists. I love lists. figuring out what order to do something in makes homework a lot less stressful for me when I know what is higher priority. On the Friday before, I list all of my work for the upcoming week. I then separate it into groups. The first group is things due on Monday and Tuesday. I try to get these done over the weekend. Next is things due Wednesday, and finally Thursday. Whatever I don't get done on the weekend, I try to get done between classes on Monday. For an example of my list, look here:

  • Next, When I plan on studying, I put on a playlist from 8tracks. I don't usually listen to instrumentals, but songs that I know well.
  • I get a small snack that I can eat with one hand like trail mix, grapes, dry cereal etc, I also grab a tea/coffee and a bottle of water.
  • I look at everything I need to get done that day and make sure I have all the binders and textbooks I need.
  • I set everything up on my bed. I knew you're not technically supposed to study on your bed, but it's more comfortable and casual.

Studying

This varies depending on what I'm doing. Whether I'm completing an assignment, or reading. I'll pretend that I'm doing 5-9 on the list above and explain how I would approach it.
  1. I would complete the first half of  assignment 5.
  2. quick 5 min break
  3. the second half of assignment 5.
  4. quick 5 min break
  5. read chapter five of children
  6. quick 5 min break
  7. read chapter six of children
  8. 20 min break
  9. complete half of assignment 8
  10. quick 5 min break
  11. complete second half of assignment 8
  12. quick 5 min break
  13. read chapter 2 of soc psych
  14. quick 5 min break
  15. read chapter 2 of abnormal psych
  16. done!

Breaks

there are many things to do while taking a break.

5 Minute Break

you can;
  • get up and stretch
  • dance to your favorite song
  • play with your pet(s)
  • refill your drinks/food
  • just chill
  • ground yourself using these methods

20 Minute Break

  • go for a walk
  • watch a sitcom episode
  • spend time talking to friends or family
  • take a quick power nap
  • make dinner, eat while studying
  • journal

Other Tips

  • Pace back and forth while reading
  • act as if you're teaching the material to the class and read out loud
  • draw pictures in the margins that remind you of the topic
  • highlight in different colors, maybe color coordinating, definitions, important notes, details, and so on
That is all for now! let me know what you think and how you study. I hope you all have a wonderful week!





No comments:

Post a Comment