Sunday 13 September 2015

First Week Frenzy

I survived the first week!!!!! This post is just going to be a recap from my week, but I'll continue next week with more tips, tricks, and survival skills for college with actually first-hand experience now :P

To begin, I've only attended five of my seven classes because my two Monday classes fell on the labour day.

Day 1: Tuesday

Today definitely had its highs and lows. Luckily, despite me being directionally challenged, I found my classroom very quickly. So quickly, in fact that I ended up being 30 minutes late and took some time to explore.  My prof. was someone I'd met before at open houses and orientations. She's  teaching prep. for professional practice and there is a wide variety of people in my class. despite the fact that my class is three hours long, it flew by, especially with the two breaks. First impression rating: 4/5. After that, my afternoon was spent waiting. Waiting 40 minutes to talk to financial aid, waiting 20 minutes to get into the bookstore, and waiting in line for coffee. The library and student centre are really nice and definitely places I can see myself spending time. Despite the fact that everything was really interesting, I was bored. I feel like this could've been different if I had the nerve to make friends, but that's a work in progress. Oh well... tomorrow I tackle public transit.

Day 2: Wednesday

Today was much better than yesterday. I, as expected, messed up the buses but was still at school in good time. I got to class and had my fist course of the day, psychology and child development. My teacher was very nice and seemed excited about the class. I was also excited because I took a class very similar to this in 12th grade and loved it. We are also doing a virtual child assignment where we choose how we raise our baby and it determines it's life. If you want more info on this let me know because it's really cool. First impression rating: 4/5 After lunch and a three-hour break I was off to my next class. I actually got to know a couple girls who seem really nice and sat nearby. The teacher seemed nice enough; he is teaching foundations of child and youth care. First impression rating: 3.5/5. After class, I got myself some dinner and got to know another girl. The reason today was so much better is that I am actually socializing and not as lonely and bored.

Day 3: Thursday

I strongly believe that Thursdays are going to be my favorite days of the week. I got to my first class, social psychology, pretty early but one of the girls I met yesterday was already there and we talked until class and met up with another girl. This is by far my favorite class so far. My teacher is amazing and the material is really interesting. First impression rating: 5/5. Afterwards, we all went for lunch and went to the bookstore to purchase my books. I bought five which was just over $500CAD and still have two more to buy. luckily many of the books I'll be using in other semesters. My second class of the day is mental health and my teacher seemed really nice. I even got out of buying one of the books for her class because it was mainly for APA referencing which I'm comfortable with. Mental health is something I'm interested in so I'm excited about the course. First impression rating: 4/5. After class, I got invited to a couple parties which I might actually attend.

Fridays as I've mentioned I have no class so I just relaxed and got started on my reading. My biggest tip for starting college, now that I have started, is not to get discouraged if the first day isn't what we expect. Our classes may seem difficult and the road may seem long but we all can do it...  




No comments:

Post a Comment